Inveraray
History of the Church The Church was designed by Robert Mylne, one of the great Scottish 18th century architects. Built between 1795 and 1802 on the highest piece of ground and traffic has always been meant to flow around it. Built to house two congregations - the English or Lowland and the Gaelic or Highland a solid wall separated the two. Externally the two ends are identical. In each gable is a circular opening - a feature which Mylne used in many of the buildings at Inveraray and elsewhere. In one is the Church Clock and in the other the Church Bell. The porticoes now railed in, originally gave access to the galleries. Much of the stone for the building came from Arran but there is a persistent story that some was quarried at Creag nan Caorach (the Craigs is a headland south of the town). If true, it confirms a 16th century prophecy that Inveraray would never be a town worth the name, till the bells rang on Creag nan Caorach. In 1957 the Gaelic End was converted into a Church Hall and its gallery was enclosed to form the Paul Fraser Memorial Chapel; Rev Doctor Paul Fraser author of the statistical Accounts of 1793, was Minister here when the Church was built. The dividing wall was pierced by a door. Originally a tall slender spire rose from the centre of the church. Said to be unsafe, it was demolished in 1941. Lacking the spire, the Church is now squat and unimpressive, though still the centre of the town.
Home - Our Churches - Inveraray - History of the Church
© Copyright 2014-20 - All rights Reserved - WestLochfyneside Parish Churches
Web site donated by SKWebpages
Church with Spire
Charity No. SC016665
Interim Moderator: Margaret Jacobsen